Yankowiak Family Farm
The Yankowiak farm was originally purchased by Anton and Agnes Yankowiak when they emigrated from Poland in 1920. Their son, Anton F. and his wife, Dorothy, purchased the farm in 1939. Today, the farm is owned by Don and Joan Yankowiak, who purchased it in 1969, nine years after they were married. Dairy cows have been on the farm for decades except for the years Don was in the Army in the 1950s. When Don came back to the farm, he started over by buying a new dairy herd.
Today, Don and Joan and their family milk cows, raise beef cattle and grow corn, soybeans, alfalfa, oats and grass on almost 400 acres of owned and rented land. Don milked cows for much of his life until an injury forced him to stop.
Don and Joan’s son, Steve and his wife, Tanya, have five children: Rayelle, Jordan, Conner, Piper and Hunter. Steve and Tanya have taken over the dairy milking chores. Another son, Rick, and his wife, Michelle, have three children: Haley, Kiley and Jay. Don and Joan’s daughter Sandra and her husband, Ron Gwin, have two kids: April and Camron. All the Yankowiak children and grandchildren have helped with putting up hay.
Don was township clerk for Claremont Township for 51 years and has served as an usher at St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church in Claremont. Joan is a past leader of Ripley’s Believe it or Nots 4-H Club and was very involved in a variety of 4-H activities over the years. She served as treasurer of CCW at the family’s church.