Brosig Family Farms
Christian and Charlotte Brosig homesteaded the family farm in 1869 A log house and straw barn were constructed and land was cleared for farming. In the late 1880s, the farm site was moved to its current location and a new house, granary and barn were built. The barn is still in use today. In 1910, an additional 200 acres were purchased which brought the farm to its current size of 360 acres.
Today, the Brosig farm is operated by Christian’s great-grandson, Mark, who took over the farm in 1986. Three years later, Mark married Kathryn Schultz and together the couple raised five children. Hannah, Haley, Maggie, Leah and Greg.
Currently, the farm consists of 225 Holstein and Brown Swiss dairy cattle. The cows are milked three times daily and are housed in a sand bedded free stall barn and milked in a double-eight para-bone parlor. The Brosigs also raise about 125 calves each year up to breeding age. Feed for the cattle is grown on 375 owned and rented land. The family has received commendation from the Minnesota Department of Agriculture for their milk quality six out of the past seven years.
Mark manages the dairy farm, Kathy takes care of the bookkeeping and helps with chores as needed. All the couple’s children help milk the cows, feed calves and whatever jobs need to be done.
Mark is a 3rd generation Elba Township supervisor now in his 26 th year of service. He is the key leader in the Mt. Vernon Beacons 4-H Club. Kathy is an elder at Our Saviors Moravian Church and a Red Cross Blood Drive volunteer. The Brosigs are members of the Minnesota Farm Bureau and the Land Stewardship Project.