O’Loughlin Farms LLC
O’Loughlin Farms of Shakopee was settled in 1856 by Dennis and Margaret O’Loughlin. The farm consisted of 162 acres and four cows. Margaret did most of the farming and cared for nine children while Dennis fought in the Civil War. Over the years, the farm continued to expand and be passed down. Three generations later, Ray and Odelia O’Loughlin took over the farm. They built a new barn in 1940 and milked 30 cows.
Their son, John, and his wife, Maryann, then took over the operation and expanded the herd. John and Maryann’s sons, Tim and Steve, came back to the farm to farm with their father. When John died in 2014, Tim and Steve, along with their families, continued on.
The families currently milk 350 Holsteins on two farm sites. Steers are raised from birth to finishing. The O’Loughlins grow corn, soybeans, oats, wheat and alfalfa on 4,400 acres.
Tim and his wife, Jody, have three daughters, Erica, Lexi and Ashlyn. Steve and his wife, Joanne, have two children, Robert and Keri. Maryann still lives on the farm.
The O’Loughlins are members of the Dairy Herd Improvement Association and the Minnesota Holstein Association. They are involved with the Scott County Dairy Ambassador program. The families are big supporters of the Shakopee Area Catholic School Community and enjoy giving farm tours for area groups including schools and church groups and international visitors. All the O’Loughlin children have been involved in 4-H over the years. Jody is a leader with the Shakopee 4-H Club.